GPFS initial setup, but perhaps this is a SAN/VIO question

I'm having some trouble getting a POC of GPFS up and running. I've read a couple install guides including a couple IBM pdfs but I'm getting stumped on something I think is fairly fundamental.... I'm trying to do this all on a single 795, right now only the VIOs have HBAs so all LUNs are pointed to those HBAs. Can I simply go into the HMC and double allocate the LUN (assign the slot to two or more LPARs) and expect that to work? Do I need to install a few more HBAs, allocate them to the individual LPARs and then have the SAN folks double or triple assign the LUNs to corresponding HBAs that way?
I tried the first way and received an error, but I'm not sure if that was because of something I'm doing wrong, or if the HMC will try to make sure I'm not doing something it thinks I don't want to do.

Thanks for your help all!

This probably depends on your zoning. Could you describe how your zones look like?

bakunin

I'll have to get some info from the SAN guys, all I know about their end of things is that they're handing off the disk to the HBAs assigned to the 795 (VIOs), what is it that I should be asking about the zoning?

Edit: I'm obviously still learning quite a bit - I wasn't aware that I should/could make a second vdev using the same backing device to share out the LUN through the VIOs to more than one LPAR. I've now gone ahead and done just that, and both LPARs can see the disks I plan to use with GPFS, and I think I'm now ready to start building the cluster. Thanks all the same!

If all the Luns are recognized by the vios then the simplest setup would be to define vscsi target devices to client partitions.
It is not hard once you know the process. If your company has a POWER 795 then I hope they will send you a standard training.
The command on the vios is mkvdev.
Another possibility is to use NPIV. Again, this is covered in a standard training. Others might be able to write all the instructions, I am not handy enough with forums other than provide the two keywords to search on further: vscsi and NPIV.

Sorry for the horrendous layout. I am trying to master using a tablet :stuck_out_tongue: at me.