GIT issue in AIX 6.1

Hello,

I recently installed GIT 1.8.1 on my AIX 6.1 machine referring to AIX Open Source Packages | Main / git website and am facing a few issues with it.

Now if I login as root and issue git commands like git --version I get the response as shown :

git version 1.8.1

And I have tried creating repositories as root too and it works fine.

Now If I login as just a normal user and if I issue the version command : git --version I am getting the response as :

genuser:stud:/students/admin> git --version
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program git because of the following errors:
        0509-150   Dependent module /usr/lib/libiconv.a(libiconv.so.2) could not be loaded.
        0509-152   Member libiconv.so.2 is not found in archive

Now how come its working with root user and not working with normal user.

But If I issue man git command in normal user I'm getting the manual for git but the rest of the commands give the above error.

How can I fix this.

u need to install the libiconv package supported by this version

@Syed Imran: I installed the rpm package which was recomended.
Somehow this is able to work perfectly when I login as root.

BTW I noticed that the file libiconv.so.2 file is present in /opt/pvcs813/vm/common/lib/linux/libiconv.so.2 location.

I tried to create a soft link too as follows which gives the following error.

root:user-> $ ln -s /usr/lib/libiconv.so.2 /opt/pvcs813/vm/common/lib/linux/libiconv.so.2
ln: 0653-421 /opt/pvcs813/vm/common/lib/linux/libiconv.so.2 exists.
    Specify -f to remove /opt/pvcs813/vm/common/lib/linux/libiconv.so.2 before linking.

When the initial error says that 0509-152 Member libiconv.so.2 is not found in archive where does it expect the file libiconv.so.2 to be in.

The "ln" command failed because you have to put it the other way round:

ln -s <existing file> <link to create>

But this is not really the problem. The error you get as a normal user says it can't find the library in "/usr/lib" and this is conceivable because it is somewhere else. Instead of softlinking it you should consider modifying the "LIBPATH" and/or "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" to make it found. Issue "set" as root and you might see it is set to some value.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

@bakunin: Thanks a lot.That was the issue.
Now works perfectly after settting the LIBPATH variable.