getting to the ok prompt from putty

Hello,
I am connected to my sunblade 1500 using putty. I am trying to do an installation from putty. Which command do I give to get to the ok prompt?

Thanks for your help.

You don't say whether the system already has an operating system installed or not.

You don't say whether your putty is connected to the systems serial console port.

Please give more information.

Meantime, an extract from the user guide says:-

[LEFT][/LEFT]

1.Is the monitor cable attached to the graphics accelerator?
2.Does the monitor work when connected to another system?
3.If you have another monitor, does it work when connected to the original system?
4.Verify that OpenBoot� PROM defaults are set properly:
�Press and hold the Power button for 4 seconds to power off the system.
�Wait 4 seconds and power on the system.
�As soon as the Power button blinks, quickly press the Power button twice. The ok prompt is displayed and the system enters a safe NVRAM mode.
�Verify these OpenBoot PROM parameters: output-device is set to screen and input-device is set to keyboard.
�If the ok prompt does not display, or if changing the output-device setting does not help, contact a Sun Service Support Center.

1 Like

Hi cjashu

i suppose you are connected over a serial cable.
on the the top of the putty window (blue bar) just click with the right mouse button and choose "special command" --> "Break"

try it out....

1 Like

what is your connection mode ......give complete information

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the reply. I have solaris 10 running in the server. It is a sun netra 240. I can log on using putty ssh or telnet remotely using the ip address I set during installation. I can get to the ok prompt using a serial connection.

I want to be able to get the ok prompt when I connect using putty ssh or telnet if possible.

Your help will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Ok prompt is only on the system console. You can't get an OK prompt on a remote session.

If your system has a network management port (alongside your serial console port) then you can give this interface an IP address and connect through IP to that. That would be a console equivalent so you could get an OK prompt. This is designed for remote console access.

1 Like

Thanks Mr hicksd8. I understand the network management port is for ALOM right? So I have to configure the ALOM first before I can do remote session to get the ok prompt correct?

Yes, that is right. The Netra 240 has a system controller which you can get to from a console prompt (ok) type typing #. (hash-dot) no <return> needed. That gives you a SC> system controller prompt. Try it on your serial console.

From the console type #. to talk to the system controller.
Fron the system controller type "console" to talk to the console.

The system controller is a Linux appliance that sits under the SPARC platform and controls stuff.

When at either prompt (ok or SC>) type "help" to see what it can do.

I think you should google search for the ALOM manual for the Netra 240 (pdf) and download it. Read about setting the IP address on the Network Management port.

1 Like

OOOH yes hicksd8. You are wonderful. Thanks a bunch

yes cjashu.....u have to give NetMgmt ip first

yes u have to 1st configure ALOM ip after then u got ur ok prompt...by using init 0 command on ur OS screen