General Unix Questions !!

1. How do we know what is my machine name and what is its IP address? (in Solaris)
  2. If i want to know the amount of physical CPUs a Unix Box possesses (LINUX and/or Solaris) then what command i have to look.
  1. uname -a tells you the machine name and some other stuff. ifconfig -a tells you the nic settings including the ip address.

2. In Solaris you can do lots of things to get the hardwar info. My favorite is /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v. Other people would probably choose psrinfo or prtconf to get that info. I'm not sure what the equivalents would be for unix, but again there are several hardware related commands you can choose from I'm sure.

Man on any of those for more details about what they can do.

Also if you want to find out the speed of the CPU's go into the OBP and type .speed

On a Linux machine

more /proc/cpuinfo

will tell you CPU information. If there are two CPUs (and the machine/kernel have been configured appropriately), you'll see two sets of information - one for each CPU.

As a note, on Linux you can use ifconfig -a, but also the "ip addr" command to view ip details and addresses.

Cheers
ZB

I might suggest getting a few good books...

Namely...

Solaris System administrators Guide

Advanced Solaris Sys Admin Guide

UNIX System Administrators Guide "aka The RED Book"

Sorry this is off topic, but Janice's books are bad enough that I just have to add my $0.02. I personally think these are the two worst books on the subject. For instance, "how do you add a user?" She answers, essentially "Use SMC or read the useradd man page". Gee, thanks. That's really helpful. If you're going to learn that way, save yourself ~$60. and just read all the system man pages.

I would recommend Solaris Operating Environment Boot Camp as a very good, thorough and practical introduction to Solaris administration. I was on the job and needed some practical guidance on steps to take and this book was more realistic for someone like me who admins boxes from the command-line over ssh. I don't have the luxury of using SMC for all my admin tasks.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Those Winsor books are just plain bad, IMO.

Dave