General installation-wrapper, FHS and SWARM

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

While reading

In the thread Sourcing - #2 by Peasant I realized something (more)...

This is kind of where I had planed/wanted to see SWARM, among several other situations and places.

And as it seems, it might be a nice idea to do something like a FHS 'wrapper' too.
So one could access the dirs you intend to without knowing which system you're on (by the script of the user).

What is FHS:

In general, this standard works well, however, there are differences among systems.
For example, but not limited to, some subdirectories of /etc have different names between, say, RH and DEB systems.

This said, I'm aware that the GNU Autoconf-tool does that, so does my project YASSI (Yet Another Simple Script Installer).
Regardless, I'd like to have something I can throw a FHS-compliant string at a command/function and get the accord and proper currents system directory in return - to 'write' variables available to SWARM.

Now I wonder if there is something like that in the GNU core utils that I'm not aware of, or if I'll have to 'move' some code out of YASSI to make a module/function in SWARM.

Hmm.. does any known distro use the prefix echo ${!OS_DIR_*}?
Or I make it SOS_DIR_* because SWARM_OS_DIR_* seems a bit lengthy.
Or since its BASH based I could used a 'worded' array, like OS_DIRS[bin], OS_DIRS[etc], etc :stuck_out_tongue:

But wait....
I'm I over-acting now?
I mean, would a 'TUI' wrapper for GNU-Autoconf need to know the system dirs?
I mean, not passing directories, would take the system its default one anyway right?
And if the user wants to pass a directory, well, the user will do an input. so no need to parse/check other than for its existence - to verify a proper(working) input.

What are your thoughts on this please?

1 Like

So, here we are now...

A simple 'FHS verifier', sort of....

Thoughts please - other than that I have too much spare time to waste on such stuff? :wink:

And now that I have that FHS idea out of my mind, I can focus again on what I actualy wanted with this thread... :sweat_smile:

And since I've quoted him for 'his' idea... @MadeInGermany, would you like to write a bash script wrapper for GNU-Autoconf using SWARM?
I bet (hope) you have at least one project using GNU-Autoconf, dont you? :wink:

Of course this questions is valid for all @Team, because I assume each one of you has more experience with GNU-Autoconf than I do and therefor would know better what it (the wrapper) should do and how it should behave.

This could be a 3-Win situation:

1. You get to try something new.
  2. I get feedback on the usage of SWARM.
  3. And if it's not a total disaster (j/k, it wont be), endusers will have an installation-wrapper (at least for that given project of yours).

Anyone interested? (please!)

And this is the one thing I'm 100% confident to say!
I promise you, learning curve aside, you've NEVER EVER before in your life wrote such a powerfull and good looking script in such short time!

EDIT:
Yes this would be kind of beta testing SWARM.
However, the question is NOT wether it works or not, the question is, how well do you get along with it's syntax and coding approach -> that is what interests me!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.