GCC bootstrap failure on AIX 5.3

I'm trying to build gcc-3.4.4 on AIX 5.3, and I get the following error in phase 2. I suspect that the problem is related to AIX's "as" assembler somehow, but from what I understand, the binutils assembler is not useable on AIX 5.1 or later. Any ideas?

checking for powl declaration... yes
checking for powl... yes
checking for sqrtl declaration... make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/voltds/doug/tmp/gcc-3.4.4.inst'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Hi, found your thread on google. I was curious if you ever made any progress?

I am trying to do the same thing and /bin/sh coredumps on the same library. I just sent IBM the core to examine this afternoon, no word yet. My system is 5.3 ML03 / 'make bootstrap' of gcc-3.4.4.

checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
/bin/sh: 63858 Segmentation fault(coredump)
make[1]: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/opt/gcc/gcc-3.4.4/obj'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

I found the solution to my own problem, perhaps yours as well. I had IBM AIX support analyze the coredump from /bin/sh and it appeared that there wasn't enough memory available causing the crash. Here was what I did to get this fixed:

Run this as root:
ulimit -m 500000
^--arbitrary, just a larger number than what it currently is (ulimit -a). An alternative is to edit /etc/security/limits and set the line for "rss" for the account you are building gcc as to this: "rss = -1" then log out and back in, memory is now unlimited.

Next set this environment variable:
export LDR_CNTRL=MACDATA=0x30000000
If you continue to error out, increase the "3" to 4, 5, or even larger until it works.

Good luck!