FTP v's SFTP

Hi,

I'm being told that I have to start using SFTP from my server (HPUX 11i), so heres a few questions;

What are the differences between FTP and SFTP? What differences in congiuration can I expect? Are there any changes in command usage? I did see an earlier thread with command issues. A few questions but google searches didn't bring anything of use.

Can you send data via SFTP and have recieved by a server only using FTP? maybe a dumb question...but I don't know?

Cheers and beers,

ftp is regarded as insecure due to the fact that it sends your files, including your login name and password across the internet in plain text. sftp is part of the sshpackage, go to www.openssh.org and you can download everthing you need there. sftp is Secure ftp, it will encrypt everything that you send, stopping any one from intercepting youpr password, in plain text anyway. go to openssh.org to get what you need.

And no, SFTP and FTP cannot "talk" to each other. One is encrypted, and the other is not - it would defeat the whole purpose of SFTP is it could talk plain text to an FTP server.

SFTP comes with a cost to speed of transfer, as the encryption slows the whole thing down, but that's the price of security ! :slight_smile: