FTP user getting locked out automatically

I need help. I have a ftp user which is used by other system to transfer file to my system.
But somehow my ftp user gets locked out due to invalid failed logins by some source system and causing lots of problems. Also i am aware that user password is not expiring rather it is getting locked due to number of failed login attempt by source system.
I am not able to find out the source system.
So is there any way how can I check which source IP/user is locking my ftp user every now and then.
Please help. Many thanks in advance.

---------- Post updated at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:14 AM ----------

OS version

Linux rdl01061app01 2.6.18-238.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jan 4 15:41:11 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

First step is to turn on logging for your FTP server. Is it vsftp perhaps? I think you turn it on in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf with the xferlog_enable and xferlog_file values.

Also, you could look in the file referred to in /etc/rsyslog.conf for all the authpriv.* messages. Does this give you a clue?

If you still can't get it sorted, issue a new FTP user account to the server you trust to connect.

I hope that this helps

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

• Double post, closed -