FTP Speed Problem on IBM P-Series equiped with AIX 5.2

Hi,
We have IBM P-Series servers (P690, P650) equiped with AIX 5.2.
Further we have 10/100 MB ethernet cards in P650 and 10/100/1000 MB ethernet cards in P690 servers. Servers are on a LAN connected with Cisco 3750 catalyst switch. FTP from one server to another is very slow,,,even 3-4 MB between 650 and 10-15 MB between 690. FTP speed also fluctuate with time to time.

I would be thankful if you can suggest any solution to this problem. In this regard pls feel free if you want any further information.

Thank you.
Aqeel Anwar

I remember reading somewhere that the ftp protocol has inherent limitations that limit throughput, because of small block sizes and having each block acknowledged.
Can you use another protocol, like NFS or rcp?

what is the media speed running on both the servers and the duplex settings ?. I think you said they are on the same subnet, please check if they are.

Regards, Kaps

Sounds to me like you may have a problem with the IBM/Cisco auto negotiation of network parameters. Try manually setting the speed and duplex settings on both the Cisco and The Pseries boxes I have experienced this many times and now set them as a mater of course.