FTP problem

Hi Guys,

Got problem when I tried to get files from Solaris server to my PC. The connection transfer was using FTP and the connection was made from the solaris server to my PC. Here's what happened when the file transfer being made:

# ftp 10.192.23.230
Connected to 10.192.23.230.
220 IT-SEC-Raskita FTP server (QVT/Net 4.2) ready.
Name (10.192.23.230:wbowo_ag): raskita
331 Password required for raskita.
Password:
230 raskita logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
ftp> mput syslogd.bkp
mput syslogd.bkp? y
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII connection for syslogd.bkp (10.192.32.68,33884)

The progress just stopped and nothing happen, the only way I can do was to stop the FTP connection. I know the problem is not in my PC, because the FTP transfer was successful when I done it from other solaris server. Do you guys know what's wrong with the solaris machine?

It could be a wrong firewall rule on your PC.

The PC is not the problem since the connection also tested to other PC with no firewall whatsoever.

Not sure if this works or not.

Try turning on passive mode.

ftp> passive

Turning on progress also helps you see if the transfer is running or not.

ftp> progress

passive mode dont solve this problem. Also progress comes with invalid command :frowning:

Does the ls command hang also?

Can you snoop the FTP session?

If you are sure there is no firewall on your PC ore somewhere between the Solaris box and it, I would still tend to believe the PC side is the problem by incorrectly implementing the FTP protocol given the fact it uses an outdated and somewhat exotic FTP server while Solaris is using the de-facto reference implementation.

If progress is not available try hash, you'll see if its transferring at all ...

To solve your problem for the time being you can ftp your file or tar file (if it involves a series of files) to another solaris server which does ftp correctly to ur PC and then in turn ftp to ur PC.

As andryk stated, hash is a good way to see if the FTP is progressing. If the file is binary then you must state BIN before doing a transfer. It is worth a try, however, I doubt this is a problem since the file would transfer successfully but be left unreadable. Is the destination system a Windows box? Is the source system a SPARC boX?