FTP from Unix Shell script to Windows Shared folder ?

Hi
Before Posting my query in this forum, I have gone through various similar postings to get some idea on ftp and how to do that from unix shell script to windows server.
My question is related to FTP'ing from Unix to windows shared folder

My basic question is

1. Is it possible to do FTP just by knowing the windows share path i.e. [\\xyz\\folder1\folder2](file://\\xyz\\folder1\folder2) (obviously with access)
  2. Does this need user credential while doing ftp

I am not sure if I am asking genuine query, but curious.

Regards
JC

Having windows share does not mean you have all the required ftp stuff on on windows...
Give it a try!
Most certainly if not installed, you will see after you unix prompt "connection refused" message

Windows shares do not use the FTP protocol, but CIFS/SMB. You'll have to take a look at Samba client utils (esp. smbmount) if you want to copy files from/to such an share.

Yes you are right...
I feel definately I should have windows machine IP or Windows machine name with FTP installed and user account to connect.

Regarding Samba client utils, I need to look into.

I will keep post if I get any solution, and also would love to listen if any alternate

Regards
JC

Further to good advice from previous correspondents.

You cannot reference a Windows shared drive from a unix command unless the drive is mapped using extra software such as Samba.

Assuming Samba is not available.
You need to find out exactly where the shared drive was mapped from and set up an ftp account on that target computer with access to that directory.
Because share drives are subjective and real directories within real drives are objective this is actually much easier to deal with in a production environment.