ftp file with full permissions

I am running sco openserver 5.0.6 and I was wondering if I could ftp files to one of my other servers and that file have full permissions set automatically on the new server.

I have searched the internet and manned chmod chown and ftp but they only seem to talk about giving the permissions after the file is already on the new server.

Thanks,

Stufine

i think you need to set the umask for the user taht you are ftp'ing with. the umask defines the default file permissions for files created by that user. this applies to files that are copied via ftp.

Thanks I will try that.
Sounds like it will work!!!

BLAST!!!
I just found out they are ftping as root. Which is ok because they are on an internal newtwork without being connected to the internet. Will this make a difference in your suggestion.

Can I set the umask in /etc/shadow or is it somewhere else??

Actually, the mask for the user makes no difference.

By typing in "umask ftp" and using our search function, I found:
this thread

I will add that with some ftpd programs there is an option for the default umask on the command line.

i would reccomend against allowing anyone to use the root account. also, root ftp access should be disabled, aswell as root telnet access, ssh access, and any other access by root except directly from the console, and 'su', thats my opinion though. you should create a user for this purpose. and i just saw perderabos post and the thread taht he linked to solves your problem.

Yeah!!

Works great. I will see why they are wanting to ftp as root and advise them to change!

Thanks for the help!!

Ok the umask 000 worked great.

Now they want the file to be executable

From what I have read you can't give a file 777 permissions using umask.

Is there another way to do this.