ftp connection refused

I have two computers running Debian 6.0 and one running Solaris 2.6 on a private network. The Debian computers can ftp to the Solaris computer but if a Debian computer is the destination the ftp connection is refused. I assume this is some security feature of Debian. What can I do to allow Debian to accept an ftp connection?

This is going to be like 20 questions until one of use here guesses the right question.

Is the ftpd (or vftpd or whatever ftp daemon) running?
If not start the service.

From the solaris box can you do this and get connected:

telnet [solaris host name here] 21
# e.g.,
telnet myhost 21

If you cannot connect then port 21 is blocked on the debian box. Note: you are just connected, not in ftp.

Hi Jim,
Solaris ftp works ok. Either Debian computer can open an ftp connection with Solaris. The problem is when any of the computers tries to open an ftp connection with one of the Debian computers. Debian is refusing an incoming connection.

Regarding your telnet example, Solaris accepts the connection but if I telnet from Solaris to Debian the connection is refused.
Fred

---------- Post updated 10-08-12 at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-07-12 at 06:22 PM ----------

It appears that no ftp server was installed. The Solaris server in.ftpd is started automatically when an incoming ftp request is received and exits when the connection is closed but apparently Linux doesn't work that way. I installed vsftpd and the connection is no longer refused.