fsck doesn't work - not even run?

Hi,

please consider, I'm pretty new to HP-UX, thanks.

Our server (rp7420 with HP-UX 11.31) has crashed due to disk write error (not boot partition). So I replaced damaged device with the new one of the same size and performed dd copy 1:1 to restore data - vxfs partition "/dev/vg01/lvol1" mounted as "/data" and some raw devs. After reboot system wrote this error: "vxfs mount: V-3-21268: /dev/vg01/lvol1 is corrupted. needs checking". So I wanted to run fsck command to fix filesystem, logged as root, but to my surprise nothing happened. No error, no output, no result. Just like if it wouldn't run. I'm sure I was able to run fsck many times before and I tried many variants of parameters, no deal. Any suggestions how to fix FS without using fsck? Or better, how to repair fsck to run properly? Thanks for every advice.

Ondrej Ilek.

Suggest you refer this to your HP support, or failing that post on the HP ITRC board. Replacing a vxfs disc has to be done the right way.

Specification: Disc was replaced directly by HP technician. Unfortunately that server is not further under any support licence from HP. I just wonder why fsck is failing to run now and has no response.

Thanks

What I dont get is what are you trying to copy with dd...
dd in LVM only works if you are copying an entire disk (and so keep the LVM structure integrity...) a dd of a logical volume that boots to a new disk just like that makes no sence...
Where Im puzzled is more how can you boot without lvol1?
were your root disks (in vg00) in mirror?

The (I hope) faulty disk was changed OK, what was done after? ( will greatly help to understand...)

Problem solved: Replacement of executable "/sbin/fs_wrapper" was enough to make fsck work. Data on corrupted filesystem are now fine and fully accessible.

Thanks.

---------- Post updated at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:43 AM ----------

Damaged lvol1 was on vg01, it wasnt bootable partition. I used dd for clone one /dev/dsk to another. Anyway, problem was in corrupted "/sbin/fs_wrapper" file (its still a bit mystery to my, how that could happen), but now is everything ok.

Thanks.