Freeing up drive space on Solaris 9 Sunblade 2500

Good Evening,

I am attempting to install Windriver Tornado but apparently there is not enough drive space.

The machine has 2- 72GB HDDS with RAID1. Can't imagine why it would be full- not sure how to check.
I did df -k and found:

kbytes                   capacity
D0	3,010,671               100%    /
D3	5,046,030              46%       /usr
D4	3,010,671              99%       /var
swap	14,783,888      1%       /var/run
swap	14,783,952      1%       /tmp
D7	1,988,887                1%       /usr/openv

which caused three questions to come to mind. 1st and 2nd, do I really have 28GB of swap and do I need that? 3rd- where is my D6?

I also open to other suggestions for freeing disk space

Thanks!

What does the format command show for partitions? You likely have unallocated space you could use - you might also see D6 and can add the /etc/vfstab entry to mount it on boot.

Cheers,
Keith

1 Like

No, you have two file systems that are using your virtual memory. Unless they are limited in vstab the df shows the available virtual memory - currently 14GB.

A real swap device would state swap in column 4 (FS type) in vfstab.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I was able to put the files in /usr.

Two commands that help to clean up

find / -xdev -type f -mtime -30 -size +1000

(stay on filesystem, real files, changed less than 30 days ago, bigger than 1000 blocks)

du -akx / | sort -k1,1n | tail -100

You might need the Posix version /usr/xpg4/bin/du
Not only your / is full. Please also treat the /var

The obvious candidates for deletion are files in /tmp and any 'core' dump files (files with name 'core') which you should search for as they can be almost anywhere on the system.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.