FreeBSD 8.1 and OSS: system freezing

Hey all,

This is my first post and I'm a brand new unix user. Just to let ya know, my technical knowledge consists of windows and linux(Ubuntu, Fedora, Sabayon, and Arch Linux), so I'm not a complete NOOB at using unix-like OSes. Anyway, I installed FreeBSD 8.1 yesterday and everything is going well: system is updated, everything compiled from source just fine, and ports tree is updated. However, I am having a big problem with getting my sound to work. I know that my sound card(Creative x-fi extreme gamer) is not natively supported in unix, so I installed OSS. After I installed it I added oss_enable="YES" into /etc/rc.conf. When I restart my system, it freezes as soon as I log in to gnome: everytime! The system completely locks up. The only way I can use my system, is if I disable OSS. Furthermore, I've been using the system(with OSS disabled) for several hours now and it's not freezing at all. OSS has to be the problem.

That's why I need your help. I'm lovin FreeBSD, but I'd love to have some sound.
Please help me resolve this issue.

My PC specs:
Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme
CPU: Intel C2D
RAM: 6GB DDR2
GPU: Nvidia 9800GTX+
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
SoundCard: Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer

I appreciate your feedback,

Thanks,

Nathan