Free regular expression interpreter for NT...

Can somebody point me in the direction of a reliable, open-source, free regular expression interpreter that runs on NT and is easily consumed from C/C++.

I'll be happy to add this functionality to an event driven batch scheduler on our NT network.

I didn't know wher I can fit this topic... I think this forum is not bad :smiley:

Thanks in advance!

have you looked into active perl?

OK, I will tell the real purpose...

We are installing event based scheduler on NT, which could be called from command line (and thus batch file) which monitors several machines, drives, directories for changes to groups of certain "hot files" and take actions as prescribed in its list.

We would need a regular expression interpreter source, so that we kind of include the headers in our C sources and be able to compile and call the functions in the interface -- like regexp() -- and use them in conjunction with the aforesaid event based scheduler.

I have tried isolating the regular expression routines and headers used by utilities like grep, on my Red Hat Linux 7.3 . And tried whether I can use the same source to compile with a C compiler on windows. But I'm now more of bewildered about how to go about this!

Could some body point me the relevant header and source files in linux which I can isolate and compile with simple C programs on windows and be able to call the standard regular expression functions like regexp() etc?

Thanks for your help!
Vishnu.

Microsoft has already done this for you.

You will have to do some Googing for this, but Microsoft has encapsulated RegExp support into some of it's COM objects that can be referenced from C++ and Visual Basic and VBScript.

Okay. I did some Googling of my own and came up with this:

http://www.winscriptingsolutions.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=9170&pg=2

Take a gander at the second page for the COM object that contains the RegExp support:

Set regexp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")

Here are some more:

http://www.vbcity.com/pubs/article.asp?alias=regexp

I'm now using Henry Spencer's regex packages for this task... these packages are POSIX compliant in functionality and also easy to use...

Auswipe, Optimus thanks a lot for the information... that ms has provides some utilities related to regex was new to me...'

:slight_smile:
Vishnu.