forgot password red hat ?

Dear Forum savants,

I have a problem that I am not sure how to overcome. Two years ago I had
a friend build me computer with a linux os (red hat) for learning purposes. It happens to have an oracle server on it as well... Anyway , because of personal reasons, I lost complete interest in learning activities but kept my maching hoping that someday I will get back into it.

Now I am ready but can't seem to remember my passwords to log into linux as a user and I also don't remember what I had set my root password to.

Can someone here tell me of how to recover access to my machine ?

My level is beginer. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
A valuable keyword is boot into single user. Or have someone mount your root (/) on another box and manually erase the pwd in /etc/passwd or shadow.

BTW, all my work are locked on encrypted filesystem and i lost the pwd too ... well YEAHH SHHHHH***T happens :mad:

Hi

if you have root file system / and /home in two partitions, you can re-install the s.o. without format /home. As root you can recover all data in /home.

I dont think that would be a good idea here if he wants to save his Oracle application data.. The OP can simply boot into single user mode and reset the root pass.

I agree with you. I have not considered that the data of the database is in "/". Sorry :o

Thanks all

I am back in control.