the message is:

file system state in supperblock is wrong;
Fix

i use the fsck manually but i don't have
success. is anything else that you can
suggest?

thanks,
em

Which partition? And what are all the local partitions?

How are you running fsck?

You can try fsck -y /dev/cNtNdNsN to insure it attempts to fix.
You can try to boot cdrom in single user (ok boot cdrom -s) and try fixing the partition that way. Once you run fsck on it, then try to mount it. If it will mount, then dismount and fsck it again. If it won't mount, start looking for your recovery tape (backups).

Once you post which partition, then someone can tell you if there is more to do.

(fyi - I deleted your other post which stated the same problem)

the partition is s0
of the c0t3d0s0
id goes thru the fix process and the new
problem is:

bad inode number 0 to ginode

thanks,
em

How are you running fsck? Post the command you used.

If you set up your system as SUN would do, then c0t3d0s0 is your / partition. Doing a boot from cdrom into single user may be the way to go. Then you can fsck -y /dev/c0t3d0s0 to try to fix it.

You may also want to reinstall the boot block. You need to boot a cd that is the same OS version. See the info in SunSolve install bootblock (step 13). There is other good info in restoring a failed drive in there too.

first i like to thank you for your reply
and the info. this is great.
i use exactly your fsck command but this time i get the inode problem that i mentioned previously.
I will try with the cdrom. i guess i can have better results if i compare with the windows problems. However, let me show you the whole picture of the problem because i am a newbee to unix world. The problem of the file system came up by switching HDD on the motherbord. I have one HDD with solaris 8 and one HDD with solaris 9. I thought that i can have dual boot on sparc 5
like the windows environment. is this possible
on unix? and if it is not, what command or procedures i have to follow when i have to switch HDD between solaris 8 and 9 without any problems?

i will appreciate your thoughts.

em