File System Naming Convention

Hi,

I am installing a new RHEL 5 application server containing JBOSS along with other specific 3rd party applications. I know that this usually gets installed in /opt but I was thinking of installing these on a new separtate lv / file system instead.

i.e.

/<my_new_FS_name>
rather than
/opt

Can anyone explain why I should not use such a naming convention as an alternative to /opt.

R,
D.

You're kind of missing the point -- you don't need to create new folders under / to do that. Any ordinary folder can have its own filesystem mounted on it, including /opt/, or even /opt/myapplication. So you can create an /opt/myapplication folder, put a new volume on it, and install on it to get the benefits of a new volume without needing to install in an unusual place.

That's why UNIX/Linux has /opt/, /usr/, /home/, and so forth -- to make it convenient to divide system utilities, user applications, and data onto different disks without needing to install anything into nonstandard locations.

I'd like to segregate my application from the other system FS's. For example if I need to reduce or remove the lv it will not impact the root system. For this reason I intended presenting a separate LUN/vg to the system mounted on a new unique FS. The /opt will remain on the root vg for other system apps software.

Like Corona688 said, you can have your own unique filesystem mounted as /opt/myapplication, so everything in /opt except /opt/myapplication is on the root (or /opt-) filesystem and /opt/myapplication is completely separate.

In simple terms mount your lv's on the /opt/[something] directory where [something] is your application name. Everybody does this BTW. That way you can a small local system disk and giant LUN mounted onto a system disk mountpoint.

Ok so just to be clear what you recommend is creating a new vg (LUN), create a new lv and mount that as /opt/[something]?

So in effect there will be a /opt FS and a /opt/[something] mounted FS also?

Not 'in effect'. It's not a trick. You can mount partitions in any folder you want and it literally, really, will be a different partition. UNIX is designed to allow it. That's just how disk partitions in UNIX work.

Think about it. You've already got /opt/ as a different partition than /. Having /opt/myapp a different partition than /opt/ is just more of the same.