File system full?

Hi, I just started working with UNIX on an old semi-fossilized Sun workstation which I use to process LOTS of images,however, I just started to get an error message that the file system is full and then my shell tool or/and text editor freeze up. Help?

Hi,

It's because it is full ! :slight_smile:
You have to delete some files to release disk space... look at /var filesystem... you don't give us enough information about what filesystem is full...

Good luck !

I apologize about the lack of info. I did df -k and the file system that is full is /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0. When I go to it using the file manager ALL the files are from 2001 and there is no open method for them. I don't know what kind of files they are or if they are important. What would you do?

BeN

(What does the completely blank button on my keyboard do?)

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 - that also doesn't give enough information. Normally that could be the / partition. But, if that is the only partition, then your real problem may be under / in either var, export/home, or some other directory.

More assistance can be given if you post the output from the df -k command. Also post what OS and version.

And I just can't resist - the blank one is the space bar.

How could he not know it was the spacebar? His post would have been like this "thisismypostido'tknowwhattheblankbuttonis"

I am not quite sure what OS is but I do know it is a Sun Ultra 80.
And the blank button I asked about is located on the upper left of the keyboard next to the help button.

Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0     170275  169979       0   100%    /
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6    1489367 1325656  104137    93%    /usr
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 15028507 13691763 1186459 93%    /export/home
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1  376039  242875   95561 72%    /usr/openwin

Okay - this is what you posted (short version) - I left only those partitions on c0t0d0. First, since /var is not a separate partition, as root, look through that directory structure. Check to see how big the following files are -

If these are eating up space they can be deleted - just save a ls -l listing of them to recreate them or you can do a command to remove everything from them:

# cat /dev/null > /var/adm/wtmp

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thanx:) :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

bEn

(About that button.....)

It's not used in the US/UNIX layout. In the US layout, it's the escape key. And there are other layouts for various other languages..

US layout &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp US/UNIX layout