File sharing between HP-UX 9 & W2K/XP

My company has several HP Model 715/100 machines running HP-UX 9 , that can't really be upgraded due to compatibility issues with some equipment it's tied to. Each UX box mounts a directory off of a Windows NT4 machine acting as an NFS server (using DiskShare Server 3 and 4), and as we upgrade the rest of our network these NT4 boxes are becoming a major pain in the ass to integrate. My goal is to get these PCs updated to XP, W2K at the very least, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to share a Windows directory via NFS in either of those OSes. I've mirrored the configuration of the NT4 machines, but mounting always times out in UX.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of scenario? I'm finding very little documentation on HP-UX 9, and what I have found talks about NFS and is generally unhelpful. I've considered CIFS, but I'm not sure 9 even supports it...

Thoughts?

At the time of HP-UX 9 there were no CIFS nor samba for hp... but HP had lanmanager software and a HPUX 9 with the soft could emulate a windows NT4 server... Last time I touched one was in 1998... You are left with looking around microsoft site (free...) or commercial version of a NFS gateway - It wont solve your problem but just allows you to share with MS world... since your issue is the other way round... one solution I see would be to add a linux samba/CIFS server and see if your workstations can mount...

Might be worth a look at the NFS Server component of "Microsoft Services for unix". Also known as SFU.

Introduction to Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX 3.5

Not clear whether you have NT4 server or NT4 workstation, or what configuration you "mirrored".

Note: Virtually everything you mention is long-since unsupported by both HP and Microsoft.

Sorry for the delay, got a bit distracted!

methyl: I'm using NT4 workstation, and the configuration I mirrored was that of the NT4 machine over to W2K machine. This includes the NFS server software we're using, NICs, and the host name. I'll read through that SFU documentation and see if I have any luck. Thanks!

---------- Post updated at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:01 PM ----------

Update! SO, I think my problem the whole time was that /etc/hosts was resolving my Windows NFS server to the wrong address... Regardless, SFU works like a charm and it beats the heck out of the software we were using on NT4. You're The Man, methyl :smiley:

1 Like