File Permissions nobody:nobody

AIX 5.3 environment. On the local system, I am sharing a jfs2 filesystem as an exported filesystem. I have many other AIX 5.3 server mounting to this file system and can create, move, copy, ... data to and from this share.

Recently, we've run into a problem. When on another system (okay, all systems except the local system), users try to create a folder or file on this "share," but the new permissions are automatically set to nobody:nobody.

It is easy enough to change the permissions, but I am not sure why this is happening now. On the local system, I was able to create a new file and folder with the proper permissions system:root. It seems as if there is a problem with the share itself. I looked through the file systems settings, NFS settings, and exported file system settings, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks

Casey

Without going into to much depth check the user IDs on both systems. For example in the password file:

On system 1

user1:!:503:etc
user2:!:504:etc

On system 2

user1:!:205
user2:!:206

This would cause your problem.

I did some more looking into this last night, and I did an ls -la on the server1 (a.k.a server with NFS). For some reason it had settings of:

123:107

I checked both server1 and server2 for these UID and GUID but neither of the systems have these. I ran a: chown root:system to reset the permissions and tested another folder/file creation from server2. same problem.

I also checked the /etc/passwd file as johnf suggests and everything lines up.

Server1
------------------
root:!:0:0::/:/usr/bin/ksh
daemon:!:1:1::/etc:
bin:!:2:2::/bin:
sys:!:3:3::/usr/sys:
adm:!:4:4::/var/adm:
uucp:!:5:5::/usr/lib/uucp:
guest:!:100:100::/home/guest:
nobody:!:4294967294:4294967294::/:
lpd:!:9:4294967294::/:
lp::11:11::/var/spool/lp:/bin/false
invscout:
:6:12::/var/adm/invscout:/usr/bin/ksh
snapp::200:13:snapp login user:/usr/sbin/snapp:/usr/sbin/snappd
ipsec:
:201:1::/etc/ipsec:/usr/bin/ksh
nuucp::7:5:uucp login user:/var/spool/uucppublic:/usr/sbin/uucp/uucico
sshd:
:202:201::/var/empty:/usr/bin/ksh
fmwalke:!:10:14::/home/fmwalke:/usr/bin/ksh
khlosey:!:12:14::/home/khlosey:/usr/bin/ksh
rlyoung:!:102:0::/home/rlyoung:/bin/ksh
rlyoung2:!:103:0::/home/rlyoung2:/bin/ksh
------------------

Server2
------------------
root:!:0:0::/:/usr/bin/ksh
daemon:!:1:1::/etc:
bin:!:2:2::/bin:
sys:!:3:3::/usr/sys:
adm:!:4:4::/var/adm:
uucp:!:5:5::/usr/lib/uucp:
guest:!:100:100::/home/guest:
nobody:!:4294967294:4294967294::/:
lpd:!:9:4294967294::/:
lp::11:11::/var/spool/lp:/bin/false
invscout:
:6:12::/var/adm/invscout:/usr/bin/ksh
snapp::200:13:snapp login user:/usr/sbin/snapp:/usr/sbin/snappd
nuucp:
:7:5:uucp login user:/var/spool/uucppublic:/usr/sbin/uucp/uucico
ipsec::201:1::/etc/ipsec:/usr/bin/ksh
sshd:
:202:201::/var/empty:/usr/bin/ksh
fmwalke:!:10:202::/home/fmwalke:/usr/bin/ksh
khlosey:!:12:202::/home/khlosey:/usr/bin/ksh
ldap:*:203:1::/home/ldap:/usr/bin/ksh
qr3adm:!:207:202:SAP System Administrator:/home/qr3adm:/bin/csh
oraqr3:!:208:204:SAP Database Administrator:/oracle/QR3:/bin/csh
sapintf:!:210:202:Sap User:/sapinterfaces/QR3ftp:/bin/ksh

What filesystem has the owner and group of 123:107?

Run the command:

lsgroup ALL

Check if there is a group numbered 107 I guess there isn't!

please post /etc/exports from server1

and if available the /etc/filesystems entry for the remote filesystem on server 2

Found the problem...or, I should say, my co-worker saw the problem. We have two NICs on the server, and have addressing set up accordingly. Some time ago we had issues with the server, and it appears that I gave access to the servers with the "internal" naming convention that is supposed to be for the nim server. I was able to get to the share and do what I wanted from the "external," but then ran into the nobody:nobody file permission.

Because I was on server, sapdbw2, I changed the permission from db2 to sapdbw2 and was able to create a file/folder with the proper permissions.

I am still thinking about this, because it doesn't seem quite complete. I understand I have naming conventions that the nim server sees, and then what the rest of the world sees. Maybe I need to modify the /etc/hosts file so it doesn't matter if I have the server listed as db2 or sapdbw2.