Failing to add new NetApp disk AIX 7.1 - but no error

Hello, AIX 7.1 - several NetApp disks already running. Trying to install a new one. Storage folks provision it. I run cfgmgr - nothing. no new disks show up in "lsdev", "sanlun lun show" shows no new device. No errors, just nothing. Storage guys disconnect it and attaches to another aix server - allegedly identical software, "cfgmgr" and the new disk shows up.

I'm kinda stuck - any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Can be many things ... with the information given we cant guess your configuration / architecture ... Is the OS of a true physical server or a LPAR ? etc...

LPAR. I thought that since it already has working NetApp LUNS/disks that it would narrow thing down. I'll be happy to provide anything that might help, but I don't know what might be relevant.

vbe is right, that could be many things - and then some. If it doesn't even show up in the lsdev i'd first think about the zoning to be wrong. That the system has already some NetApp disks configured shows that the driver part is correct. It still might be possible that the new disk is coming from a different storage device and that is not correctly configured to serve LUNs to the system.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Thanks for your input - actually I had forgotten about the zoning and the new space *was* coming from a different NetAPP. However my storage guy did *not* forget. Plus, as a troubleshooting step he added a new LUN from a NetAPP that was already connected to the server. No luck. Also got another server (did I mention this earlier) that is in the same zoning-group, same OS levels and it could get a new LUN with no problem. So it really seems isolated to this one server. (Which really just makes no sense to me...)

Well, think of it like that: having found out what was NOT the culprit is a step forward, no? :wink:

First off, i suppose you also have checked that the device the disk is supposed to be attached to is also working - if you have all your other NetApp disks attached to FC adapter A and the new one to adapter B then adapter B might be the problem.

I have no experience with the NetApp drivers but maye something is wrong with the ODM entries concerning the device(s). You may try a rmdev -Rdl on the adapter and then a rediscovery via cfgmgr to rebuild that. Notice that to completely clean the ODM you need to varyoffvg all the volume groups consisting of disks coming from the adapter you are deleting. If they are still online they will hold at least one FC connection (i.e one hdisk device if the driver is multipath enabled) open.

I hope this helps.

bakunin