external USb hard disk reading problem

Hello,
I am facing a hard disk drive reading problem since last one month and not able to resolve it.

The thing is I purchased external USB hard disk (seagate 40 gb) 2 years back.And uptil now its working perfectly fine. But suddenly one day I am not able to read my data. The problem goes like that, I have partitioned my external hard disk in two drives and named them HDD and BACKUP. But now whenever I connect my hard disk to the system. It shows me BACKUP drive with name and HDD without any name. When I open BACKUP it shows me all the previous files and folders, but if I open any of the file it says file doesnot exit. And if I open another drive without a name it doesnot show me anything. And I desperately need the data because I have lot of important things there. So please if somebody knows how to deal with this thing, I'll be very greatful.
Thanks.
Albert

With external drives it's very possible that the drive itself is ok but the enclosure circuitry is going bad. Either way, your best bet at recovering the data is to try to pull the drive out of the enclosure (this will most likely void any warranties) and connect it inside a computer. If you still can't access it, try a recovery program like SpinRite. Either way, as soon as you gain access to the data, pull it off. And don't keep wasting time mounting and unmounting the drive since if it's going bad, this will just run it into the ground more. Good luck.