exportvg

Hi

How to check if a vg is exported from an LPAR using exportvg?

Is there a command or place where we can see the list of the vg's exported from the LPAR ?

Because if i run the command to varyonvg i get the below error :

root@cbspsrc02 [/] #varyonvg old_rootvg
0516-082 varyonvg: Unable to access a special device file.
         Execute redefinevg and synclvodm to build correct environment.

old_rootvg is an alternate disk image - you cannot varyon it, you can wake it up with

alt_disk_install -W hdiskx  

(alt_disk_install -S hdiskx puts it asleep again) or you can boot from it by changing the boot list of your server to this disk.

Generally when a VG appears in the output of lsvg command, than its imported, if the same VG appears in output of lsvg -o than its imported and varied on.

Hope this helps
regards
zxmaus

To export does in this case not mean that it it's information is written somewhere so it is available for further use like you might know it from NFS or other things.
From the man page of exportvg:

hi,
when u have exported an VG it will removes the ODM details of VG(which is exported),but u will have /etc/filesystems details regaring to the VG.
through a command u can't check whether a VG is exported or not.

Actually you wont if you haven't manually modified /etc/filesystems as the volumegroup export will remove the entries from /etc/filesystems and the import will add them.

Regards
zxmaus

Exactly exportvg will clean the ODM and remove entries in /etc/filesystems.

If you have some disks that are on the system not assigned to any VG
you can check if they were assigned to any VG by reading
Volume Group Descriptor Area on the disk

It is "readvgda" command
More info here: Legacy Communities - IBM Community

Hi,

You can check with

lqueryvg -p hdiskX -At

it will show the contains of that disk. The exportvg will clear the odm and filesystem entries from that system but data is still there in the hdisk, you can attach that disk to any other system and run importvg. If

reducevg -d 

is done then only it will wipe out all the data from disk.

Do I hear several echoes?... Anyway.

That's not true - if you simply issue a lsvg and your former VG isn't listed anymore, it must have been exported.