Ethernet Drivers

I installed Solaris 8 on Compaq EN733 system which has Intel /100 Network Card. When I ran 'ifconfig -a', it did not show any nic card attarched to it. I am not sure is this driver problem or something else.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

for testing your card in sun machines in PROM mode we have some option to check NIC card this is
( OK test net or OK watch-net-all)
if you don't have this option in your machine you can check it
with :
"ndd /dev/hme link_status" if it gives 0 means your link is down
& you should fix your card with the following option you can also check the mode.
" ndd /dev/hme link_mode "

Rgrds,
nikk

Hi there,
I am getting the error after giving him the command "ndd /dev/hme link_status". Error is "couldn't push module hme, No such device or address". This is what the system cound not found hme (nic card). This is the same as "ifconfig -a" and cound not found any nic card.
Any other idea.
Remember, this is a Intel based machine.

I'm not sure wehther you've installed all essential patches for solaris 8.0 or no ,cause i had the same problem for my sun machine and after installing all Rec. patches ,it resolved.

Refer to( www.bigadmin.com)
Nikk

I have installed Solaris 8 on the same machine and networked it wothout any problems.

Have you tried looking in the BIOS to see whether the on-board NIC adapter has been disabled. If the system doesnt see one then it could be disabled.

If you have a spare NIC card,you could try putting that into the box and run 'devfsadm'. The system should then see it.