EtherChannel interface ping pelicularity

I have few AIX servers in my data center, which have their EtherChannel configured to have a fat pipe (active/active) and a nagios server to monitor the server uptimes. Nagios server pings every server in the data center and we have pretty much every known unix flavor in this data center. When these AIX servers get pinged, sometimes, the percentage of packets returned are higher than 100% and nagios raises the warning flag and everyone gets up in tizzy as nagios setup is very vocal about emailing such incidents to the whole world.

Did anyone encounter such situation ? If you did, how did you deal with it ? Changing nagios configuration or ping plug-in is not an option as it is used for all unix flavored servers and none other than these AIX servers exhibit this behavior.

Thanks

We had similar issues with a different product. Eventually, we quit using it because of similar reasons and also because sometimes our boxes would ping, but would be froze up somehow and not respond to login attempts. Now have our NIM server SSH to every box every 15 minutes and run a "/usr/bin/ls" command and check that the return code was "0". One of our other boxes does an SSH to our NIM server to make sure it is running. We have to monitor the monitor. :slight_smile:

Very novel idea and I used similar structs in the past. But this time, nagios monitoring is what we are sticking to for simplifying the operations staff's work. So, I have to get this one fixed such that if a ping request comes, only one of the interfaces in an etherchannel should respond, not both.

I never got this fixed either, running a new version of Nagios didn't solve this issue.
I'm now using IP-Monitor for this, and this one runs fine, also using my NIM server to ping the IP-Monitor again :slight_smile: