etc/services

Need help from the unix admins out there. I am trying to telnet from a windoze machine to a sun machine. It won't let me connect. I looked at etc/services and I found the port that telnet was listening on. But, how can I tell if its actually up and available? is there a unix command I can issue? Thanks in advance

---------- Post updated at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:16 PM ----------

I issued the netstat command on the machine in question hoping to see if I could find something on telnet. Can anyone help me interpret the output of netstat?

Local Address Remote Address Swind Send-Q Rwind Recv-Q State
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ------ ----- ------ -----------
cbp011.42814 <<<-----I know cbp011 is a unix machine. But what is 42814?

---------- Post updated at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:07 PM ----------

Is it possible to execute ssh from a windoze command prompt?

download putty - it allows you to connect to unix ssh painlessly - it is free.

PuTTY Download Page

We have putty, but i was wanting to connect from the windozze cmd prompt like to old days. Any ideas?

telnet on ssh port :)

I tried that. I get cannot open connection

is you network opened for that ?

By opening port it does not mean that system will able to connect on telnet port. You need to see the services also which are required, if you are on Solaris 10, grep the telnet with svcs and see if the services is enabled or disabled.

To test if the box can be connected from your location or net, check the system with ssh and if its through then you should get connected to through telnet. Also important point which you have to care about is from which user you are trying to connect, in case if you trying from root then you have to check the file called /etc/default/login lookout for CONSOLE variable and read the line above the variable.

What OS is your sun machine running ?

Thanks....sorry for the late response. I work nights.

---------- Post updated at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:26 PM ----------

BTW. What does "grep the telnet with svcs" mean? What command do i need to execute.

---------- Post updated at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:35 PM ----------

Hi jilliagre,
Here is my os

uname -X
System = SunOS
Node = xxxxxxx
Release = 5.10
KernelID = Generic_142900-14
Machine = sun4u
BusType = <unknown>
Serial = <unknown>
Users = <unknown>
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 14

Not that it is a good idea but "svcadm enable telnet" will enable the telnet service on Solaris 10 and newer.

Hi jilliagre,
I like your idea, I guess I have to be root? or on that level?

Non root users might have been granted the authorization to manage services but usually, only root is allowed.

may i know the name of UNIX os nd its version.....

Solaris 10

It appear you are using solaris 10. in previous versions of sun telnet use to work just like that.
u can check your version by

uname -a
SunOS xxxx-oam 5.10 Generic_137111-01 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240

try following

svcs -a | grep telnet
online         Jun_24   svc:/network/telnet:default 

if its not online

svcadm  enable svc:/network/telnet:default

check again

svcs -a | grep telnet

@mtomar:
1: Instead of typing

svcs -a | grep telnet

you can use the simpler

svcs "*telnet*"

or even

svcs telnet

2: Instead of using

svcadm  enable svc:/network/telnet:default

you can use the simpler

svcadm  enable telnet

or better

svcadm  enable -t telnet

(as I already suggested) to avoid leaving the machine indefinitely at risk.