/etc/profile file not executed

Hi Experts,

On one of hp-ux box I have writen the code to disable the direct login for some of the users in /etc/profile file.

However when logging into terminal seems /etc/profile is not executed and users are still able to directly login into the terminal.

Default shell for user is /usr/bin/sh.

Are there any configs/settings that needs to be changed for the same?

Don disable users in /etc/profile by scripting in it :eek:

Which way are your users connecting ?

If ssh, then check out the man sshd , in which configuration you can allow which users can connect via ssh.

Also you can modify the /etc/passwd file and put /sbin/nologin as default shell for users you don't want to login to your system (any protocol).

As Peasant recommends, it is not the way to stop people connecting...
Now you have not said how they connect, at first look I would say with your issue: Using ssh...
If people spend time writing man pages, it is in the hope one will read them, why didnt you?
You would not have posted - or at least not in the same way...

in ssh man pages you would have heard of ~etc/ssh_config file and more interestingly : ~etc/sshrc file, I use ~ for I suppose path may vary depending of implementation e.g. on my HP:

ant:/usr/local/etc $ ll
total 2754
drwxr-xr-x   5 bin        bin           1024 Apr 15  2011 .
drwxr-xr-x  21 bin        bin           1024 May 28  2009 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root       sys             96 Apr 15  2011 bash_completion.d
drwxr-xr-x   4 root       sys             96 May 28  2009 fonts
drwxr-xr-x   2 root       sys           2048 Dec  7  2004 gtk
-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys            920 Nov 12  2004 im_palette-small.pal
-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys            224 Nov 12  2004 im_palette-tiny.pal
-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys           3376 Nov 12  2004 im_palette.pal
-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys           5474 Nov 12  2004 imrc
-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys           1443 Jan 11  2011 slsh.rc
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root       sys             24 Sep 18  2009 sshd_config -> /opt/ssh/etc/sshd_config
-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys        1391457 Mar 15  2007 termcap

If they are using telnet, let's see the code in /etc/profile (blotting any real names with x's). I have a script called from /etc/profile which selectively limits logins on one system according to complex rules.

If they are not using telnet, how do they connect when it is bad? How do they connect when it is good?