/etc/netmasks equivalent in linux

Hi Guys,

I am used to configuring DHCP on Solaris and foreach subnet added I place a corresponding entry in /etc/netmasks. I am now looking at configuring DHCP on linux, is there an equivalnet entry required somewhere or is this not needed in linux

Thanks

Hello,
I'm a Solaris admin like your self. I don't use DHCP for my servers, I set static IPs. I use the GUI tools below for RHEL, that can be launched from the command line, when I need to do more then just set a static IP.

Use this command if you want to use a X-Window GUI to change the IP address.

system-config-network 

Use this command to launch a utility inside your terminal. In other words this should work on a headless server.

system-config-network-tui 

I hope this helps you out.

Thanks, for that. I probably wasn't clear in my original post I want to set-up a linux dhcp server, and I am wondering if it is sufficient just to have the subnet definition in the dhcpd.conf files along with the router info etc.

In solaris I needed to have an entry in the /etc/netmasks for every subnet I added to dhcp on the dhcp server but as this file doesn't exist in linux am I right in assuming that DHCP on linux is smart enough not to need it.

Ok go to the CentOS web site. I saw a howto, in there howto section, last night, on setting up a DHCP server. There forum is also active.

If you need a link let me know.