Establising FTP contact on Linux

Hi,
I was wondering, does anybody know if you have to set up a Linux machine as a server to establish it as a host for a FTP site; therefore enabling me to make contact with the linux machine, from other machine types, such as Solaris and Windows.

NB: I can currently ping the IP address from solaris and windows machines on different servers.

Thanks,

:slight_smile:

Well, you do have to configure and start the ftpd service...
There is a very good chance that you already have the ftp daemon... Check out /etc/inetd.conf, uncomment the ftp line to start it, then do a :
kill -HUP `ps -ef | grep [i]netd | awk '{print $2}'`
(Basically send a SIGHUP, or signal 1, to the inetd process to cause it to reload it's config.)

It's probably a good idea to lock it down a little more if it's publically (via the internet) available, as opposed to on a local network.

Also, if you have any more questions, could you post the results or "uname -a" so we know what kind of system you're working with?

Hi,
The Linix version is 2.4.2-2 (Red Hat7.1). The full set of sys info is:
Linux Linux1.localdomain 2.4.2-2 #1 Sun Apr 8 18:47:21 EDT 2001 i586 unknown.

I have the FTP running (e.g. I can connect to other sites), but, cannot connect to the linux from other FTP sites (e.g. I've tried using both the host name and IP address for a conection address).

I have configured the etc/host.allow and etc/host.deny files for network security (I'm not sure if this is what you're reffering to by 'locking it down').

It appears the main problem is other FTP sites being unable to locate the host name/address of the Linix host.

If you can be more specific with your errors that would be great. You said you cant connect to it with either a hostname or an IP address. It could be a DNS issue, i.e. the hostname is either incorrectly defined, or the hostname is not what you think it is.

If you cannot connect with an IP address, then either your ftpd is not running or you have a firewall that does not permit ftp initiation on port 21 or you may not have ftp enabled in the services file (unlikely but possible).

Hi,

I have 2 NIC cards on solaris server.
And I want to use only one specific IP address to transfer the data to other server.

Cheers