Errors while trying to install software on SuSE 9.2 Pro

First off I try to install XTheater on SuSE 9.2 Pro I run the ./configure command and this is what I get

chris@linux:~/Desktop/Xtheater-0.9.2> ./configure
loading cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for c++... (cached) c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... (cached) yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking for object suffix... o
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... no
checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
checking if the linker (/usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... yes
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking for /usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... Linux ld.so
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
loading cache ./config.cache
checking for glib-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.
configure: error: GLIB >= 1.2.0 not found!

I have the GLIB 2 or something like that I found it in /opt/gnome/include/glib. Thanks in advance to all help. I think I'm going to start a website about help with Linux so people like me don't go insane trying to figure it out. :slight_smile:

Have you tried
# export GLIB_CONFIG="/full/path/to/glib-config"
# ./configure

Cheers
ZB

Ok, I'm understanding Linux a little bit but I searched my files and folders and found nothing named GLIB_CONFIG. I just have a glib-2.0 folder. Thanks for taking the time to help zazzybob.

You need to search for "glib-config". Try something like
find / -name "glib-config" -print
as root. This will print the full path to the file.

Then, set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to contain this path, as shown with my command in the above post.

Cheers
ZB

Ok, I found a glibconfig.h file in file:/opt/gnome/lib/glib-2.0/include is this what I'm looking for or is it just glib-config. Also I can't seem to login to root anymore it just keeps bringing up the Yast screen when I login to root...dumb linux scratchs head

I went into the root console from my user session and did a search and this is what is did:
linux:~ # find / -name "glib-config" -print
find: /media/cdrecorder: No medium found
find: /media/floppy: No medium found
linux:~ #

From what I can find it should be located in /usr/local/bin/glib-config but my /usr/local/bin/ folder is completely empty. I can go into YaST though and it shows all glib packages are installed. Maybe SuSE 9.2 Pro is deciding to hide everything :confused: :confused:

Hmm. I've heard of the logging in as root and getting YaST problem before. You can still do a "su" to root via a console though, as you have.

It might be worth firing up YaST anyway and re-installing the glib* packages (including any dev or devel packages) and/or lib*glib* packages.

You might also want to try searching rpmfind.net for a XTheater RPM for SUSE - this will make the installation painless via rpm.

On my SuSE 8.2 machine, the full path to glib-config is
/usr/bin/glib-config, so do an ls -l /usr/bin/glib-config - if it's there, then export GLIB_CONFIG set to this path.

i.e. export GLIB_CONFIG=/usr/bin/glib-config
then re-run ./configure

You can do "glib-config --version" to see which version you're running.

If a "which glib-config" doesn't find the glib-config script then either it is not in your PATH or all of glib isn't installed.

In SUSE 8.2, an "rpm -qvf /usr/bin/glib-config" shows that it is contained within glib-devel-1.2.10-372.rpm (although your version should be newer).

A few things to try!

Cheers
ZB

Ok, I'm about ready to strangle SuSE. I installed every single package off of all 5 cds and still nothing. In KDE when you goto the menu and tell it to "Find Files" in the "Named:" field how do you tell it to search for file names that just start with glib? Because when I do a search for glib it only pulls up the exact name of the file I entered. I typed glib-config --version and this is what I got...

linux:~ # glib-config --version
-bash: glib-config: command not found
linux:~ #

How in the world can it be installed but not be found...

To me it looks as if the glib-devel packages are not installed. glib-config is provided by the glib-devel packages. If the devel packages are not on your system, then you won't be able to compile XTheater - and that's about all there is to it I'm afraid!

When you are going through YaST, which glib packages are listed?

BTW - KDE Find should allow wildcards/regexs in the searches, but I use the command line anyway - its far more flexible.

Run
rpm -qa | grep glib

You should see glib-devel*, glibc-devel*, glib*, glibc*

Post the output from the above rpm command.

Cheers
ZB

Ok I ran the code in a terminal window and got this

chris@linux:~> rpm -qa | grep glib
glibc-2.3.3-118
glibc-i18ndata-2.3.3-118
taglib-1.3-4
jakarta-taglibs-standard-javadoc-1.1.1-3
glibc-locale-2.3.3-118
glibc-html-2.3.3-118
glib-1.2.10-589
jakarta-taglibs-standard-1.1.1-3
glib2-2.4.6-5
glibc-devel-2.3.3-118
glibc-info-2.3.3-118
glib2-devel-2.4.6-5
glib2-doc-2.4.6-5
chris@linux:~>

I installed every single package off of the 5 cds trying to get stuff to work, so YaST shows all packages are installed. I don't even see a glib-devel package in YaST available for install...
Just wondering but what version of linux do you prefer?

I personally prefer SUSE 8.2 Professional - have stuck with SUSE for a few years now - but I'm not going to upgrade to 9.x in a hurry because my systems are fine - "If it ain't broke..."

The package that is missing will be called
glib-devel-1.2.10*

Try downloading and installing glib-devel-1.2.10 from an RPM mirror (try here )

I can't guarantee it will work for you though.

Cheers
ZB

I went to that site and clicked "Install package with YaST" and it install but I don't see that nothing has changed. Still don't show up when I do rpm -qa | grep glib I just get the same list. Have any other suggestions? Maybe I should reinstall linux?

I wouldn't reinstall Linux - there's rarely a need to do that.

Right click one of the download links, save link as, save it somewhere on your HD.

cd to the directory containing the rpm, and run the following command as root

rpm -i glib-devel-*

That will install the lot (to /opt/gnome - therefore glib-config will be in /opt/gnome/bin/glib-config).

You can then either set GLIB_CONFIG="/opt/gnome/bin/glib-config" or if /opt and /usr are on the same filesystem then ln /opt/gnome/bin/glib-config /usr/bin/glib-config to create a hard link.

Cheers
ZB

I saved the rpm and installed it and ran that code again and I see no change. The glib-devel package saved with the name glib-1.2.10-586.src.rpm. Also for some reason I can't delete anything off my Desktop unless I login to root, it says I'm the owner of them but says something like access denied. I think I might of screwed something up in the kernel when I tryed installing BestCrypt. It was saying something about going into the kernel source and doing a make mrproper and make install and on make install it had like 5 million options so I just did a Control + C and exited out of it. Thanks again for the help...

Here's the line frome the Konsole that shows me installing the rpm and checking for it:

linux:~/Desktop # rpm -i glib-1.2.10-586.src.rpm
linux:~/Desktop # rpm -qa | grep glib
glibc-2.3.3-118
glibc-i18ndata-2.3.3-118
taglib-1.3-4
jakarta-taglibs-standard-javadoc-1.1.1-3
glib-1.2.10-589
glibc-locale-2.3.3-118
glibc-html-2.3.3-118
jakarta-taglibs-standard-1.1.1-3
glib2-2.4.6-5
glibc-devel-2.3.3-118
glibc-info-2.3.3-118
glib2-devel-2.4.6-5
glib2-doc-2.4.6-5
linux:~/Desktop #

Whoops, you've pulled the source rpm off the page, not the "standard" rpm. Try right clicking on this link and saving the rpm.

Cheers
ZB

Ok that installed it, I see a glib-config file in /opt/gnome/bin/ and /home/chris/Desktop/usr/bin. I ran the program I was trying to install and it got past the glib-config check and stopped on GTK_CONFIG AND SDL_CONFIG.

Looks like the same story here - you need the gtk devel packages and sdl devel packages. All of these devel packages should really be on your SUSE 9.2 Pro disks/DVD. Try another search via YaST for "*gtk*" and "*sdl*" and install anything that isn't already present on your system - if ./configure is falling over, chances are they aren't installed or are too old - i bet they aren't installed though (as we found out with glib-devel).

rpm -qva | egrep "sdl|gtk"

The config file it was complaining about was "/opt/gnome/bin/glib-config" originally. Now it probably wants gtk-config and whatever configuration scripts and headers the SDL development packages provide.

Is it possible this program wants the older versions of gtk and sdl. It looks like I have the gtk2-devel pack. I think I read somewhere that it said that like glib and glib2 are 2 totally different things when it comes to things.

linux:/home/chris/Desktop/Xtheater-0.9.2 # rpm -qva | egrep "sdl|gtk"
libexif-gtk-0.3.3-308
gtk2-engines-2.2.0-400
python-gtk-2.2.0-3
gtkglarea-1.2.2-893
gtk-engines-0.12-960
libgtkhtml-2.6.1-3
gtkspell-2.0.5-58
gtk2-doc-2.4.9-10
gtkam-0.1.12-2
wsdl4j-javadoc-1.4-3
gtk2-devel-2.4.9-10
gtkhtml2-devel-3.2.2-3
gtklp-0.9u-2
gtkmm-1.2.10-301
gtk2-2.4.9-10
gtk2-themes-0.1-636
libgtkhtml-devel-2.6.1-3
gtkdoc-1.2-62
gtk-qt-engine-0.5-9
gtk-1.2.10-882
gtkhtml2-3.2.2-3
wsdl4j-1.4-3
gtksourceview-1.0.1-3

You will need the gtk-devel rpm's - they certainly are two different things - certain programs want certain headers and config scripts - this is where compiling from source can become tricky and frustrating. Before you know it you're compiling other things to meet dependencies that themselves have dependencies, etc. If you can find rpms (or debs for debian) then it makes the whole installation routine relatively painless.

You can get SDL here

Check http://rpm.pbone.net/ and see if RPMs are available for gtk-devel and any sdl libraries required.

Also, if you're enquiring about "BestCrypt" i'd suggest starting a new thread as it's unrelated to this discussion. :wink:

Cheers
ZB

Ok I have everything except GTK working. I can see its installed by this:
linux:~/Desktop # gtk-config --version
But everytime I do a ./configure on Xtheater it kicks back on gtk it shows

checking for gtk-config... (cached) no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
I've done the command
GTK_CONFIG=/opt/gnome/bin/gtk-config and ran ./configure again and got the same thing... Version 1.2.10 should work shouldn't it?

Try
# export GTK_CONFIG=/opt/gnome/bin/gtk-config

The "export" is important as it will make the GTK_CONFIG variable available to child shells.

Cheers
ZB