Errors while trying to install software on SuSE 9.2 Pro

Ok, I did that and still the same thing. I even tryed
# ./configure --with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome/bin/gtk-config and still it comes up saying it can't find GTK_CONFIG. Know of anything else that might cause it not to find it even after all of this?

A bit of a kludge, but try hard linking it to /usr/bin

ln /opt/gnome/bin/gtk-config /usr/bin/gtk-config

Cheers
ZB

Ok, I did that I see it put a gtk-config shell script file in /usr/bin/ but it still seem to do nothing.

checking for gtk-config... (cached) no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
Not sure if this information helps but I can do a # gtk-config --prefix and it shows /opt/gnome and # gtk-config --exec-prefix shows the same thing. Just read on another site about something and ran these
# echo $GTK_PATH
/usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0:/opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0
# echo $GTK_CONFIG

Not sure if the 2nd command should of brought something up like the first one did or not.

Ok, I decided I'd try MPlayer because I know I've used it before. I ran ./configure and everything seemed fine. Then I done # make --quiet and oh boy it was coming back with all kinds of errors. If you will look at it and tell me what all this means.

Do you have the kernel source installed?

Have a look at /usr/src/linux and see if it's populated.

When I installed SUSE, I installed all development packages (I think theres an option during the installation that'll allow you to specify that you want to install the "Development" group of packages.)

If you're going to be compiling a lot of programs from source, these require development packages to be installed. If you've got the hard disk space, then I'd definitely recommend installing as much as possible.

If you don't want the development/source packages, then your only option is to install from RPM.

Cheers
ZB

Ok, I went in and installed the kernel source and ended up finally finding a rpm of MPlayer and getting it installed. I'd still like to know why it didn't want to compile so just in case I need to compile it one day. I had tryed a make on it before I installed the rpm and it was still complaining of libavcodec not being found when its a folder inside of the mplayer folder, then was talking about instances of something being mentioned and not being used. Oh well at least if nothing else I'm learning new stuff about linux :slight_smile: