Encoding conversion in PERL script

I have oracle 9i database installed with UTF-8 Encoding.
I want a perl script that converts unicode to utf8 before commiting in database and utf8 to unicode when retreiving from database
For example :
the word �nt�rnat��n�l�z�tion has to be stored in database as Internationalization and when retreived from database, it should not lose the original meaning.

Can u suggest any solution in PERL script.

utf8 pragma.

google search ( utf8 - perldoc.perl.org ).. Hopefully it can help you.

i suggest you post this at PerlMonks.

Thanks for the solution.
But it was not clear.
Is there any other method?

Well, our answers can only be as clear as your question. Do you want to convert between character sets? Or do you want to save it in a different character set and retrieve it in the original?

Besides, you do know that UTF8 is a variant of Unicode?

Let me be more clear.
There is a word which i have to save it in database.(The word i'm saving is �nt�rnat��n�l�z�tion). If i save as �nt�rnat��n�l�z�tion, it is saving some junk characters.
So i want a perl script that saves the word �nt�rnat��n�l�z�tion as Internationalization
and when retreiving from database, i want it as �nt�rnat��n�l�z�tion.
Hopefully i am clear by this.

How are you accessing the database? Via DBI? Then it shouldn't be a problem, since Perl itself uses Unicode already. Via SQL*Plus? Then you should take a look at the various NLS settings for Oracle, because sometimes it tries to convert strings for you, even if you don't want to.

Also, I think the various to_char functions can do character set conversion.