Enabling color for putty session

Hi Everyone:

Is there any way to enable colors through putty for a session into AIX? I've tried to set the TERM variable to xterm-256color but it doesn't work

having a 8-color terminal would be okay for me

thanks in advance

Hi , you can change colors in putty. Run putty extend tab "Window" and there is "Colours". Click on it and there you go :slight_smile: .

Hi phobus

i've seen that dialog however it just changes color settings i.e your terminal must be preconfigured for displaying colors, the next line doesn't work for me:

export TERM=xterm-256color

i'm working on AIX and i don't have root access

Hmmm ... if I got it right ... you connect to the server via putty. If so then you don't have to do anything on the server , because this setting (change color in "window - colors in putty" ) will not effect your aix terminal (you do not have to do anything on the server). I use this putty to connect to the aix servers every day ... and I don't remember changing or configuring any display settings on the server.
Did you try to change like Default Foreground in putty? Did it change color?

HI phobus

well, i've started working with ncurses and the has_colors function always returns FALSE.

you're right, i can configure putty for using colors but i want to set colors for windows and more stuff

kind regards

Out of interest, the nmon cpu display shows colour-coded bars (run nmon, then press c) on:

$ oslevel -r
6100-02

$ echo $TERM
xterm

$ lslpp -l bos.perf.tools
  Fileset                      Level  State      Description
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Path: /usr/lib/objrepos
  bos.perf.tools             6.1.2.1  COMMITTED  Base Performance Tools

Path: /etc/objrepos
  bos.perf.tools             6.1.2.1  COMMITTED  Base Performance Tools