Enable telnet as root to 11.31 non-trusted system?

I have a new box that was set up for me and I want to allow telnet to the box as root. I know that it's not secure but due to the nature of what I test I need an easy and reliable way back in if I've messed up the other connection methods(SSH). This is in a protected lab environment. Eventually I'll get sudo setup but I'm not ready for that now.

I can telnet as a regular user and then su to root just fine.
I cannot "telnet remote_server" as root user.
I cannot "telnet localhost" as root user.
I did not have an /etc/securetty file. I tried creating one with "console" in it to see if I could then get in via localhost but it didn't help.
I tried "/usr/lbin/modprpw -k root" and got the message "System is not trusted".
hosts.allow and hosts.deny are both commented out.

Most of the search results I get are about how to disable telnet for root but I have the opposite problem. Where else can I look or what can I do?

I don't suppose the system has a serial port?

Actually, I don't know for sure. I don't think so but even if it did, if you were thinking about using that as a method of access I wouldn't be able to do it. The machine sits in the lab but I don't. Thanks for your idea though.

You should have a lanconsole option... it may need to be configured though (preferably on another lan like an administration lan... ask your network team for a VLAN...). Remove the hosts.allow hosts.deny files (or mv them elsewhere ) while configuring they are maybe the culprits...

1 Like

I need to be able to connect via telnet from a remote workstation and login as root. Period. Moving /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny unfortunately didn't help.

The trouble you have getting it working calls 'simple and reliable' into serious question.

Do you have a inetd.sec file ? (I configure such file on the HP boxes I administer...)

1 Like

I have /var/adm/inetd.sec and it has

dtspc   allow   127.0.0.1       loopback servername

Looking at the man page for inetd.sec I see

When inetd accepts a connection from a remote system, it checks the
address of the host requesting the service against the list of hosts
to be allowed or denied access to the specific service (see
inetd(1M)).

which lead me to /etc/inetd.conf and this line which I had looked at previously. I had assumed it is correct but am including for another set of eyes to look at.

telnet       stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/lbin/telnetd  telnetd

remove the tcp6 and give it a try...
type

inetd -c
1 Like

But I doubt since as simple user you can connect...

No ipfilter?

1 Like

No joy. In fact, removing tcp6 disallowed all telnet connections. Even the regular user.

Yeah, makes me think of some security setting someplace (stating the obvious) but I haven't been able to figure out which setting.

I don't think so. ?

# ipfstat -Qv
open: No such file or directory

Don't you have a lanconsole interface?
Is there no customization made to .profile or /etc/profile ?

I am getting closer. The problem is that the root password contains the "@" character. When I use a password without "@" I can get in. I think it has something to do with eol being set to ^@.

bash-4.2# stty -a
speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
rows = 50; columns = 120
min = 1; time = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U
eof = ^D; eol = ^@; eol2 <undef>; swtch <undef>

For the heck of it I tried adding this to /etc/profile

EOL="^-"
     export EOL
     stty eol $EOL

but it didn't help. I suppose because /etc/profile is read after the login.

In the end I just ended up changing the password to something simpler because a screw up of the tty settings for the root account could mean a reinstall and it's not worth it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Ah I should have asked that ( but who would think of something to do with the password? to start with...)
@ is the "erase line " or set line to blank in HP world.
I did not think of this because it is stated by all HP admins to never enter special char in root password (for the day you are to solve issues and have for the first time to connect using the console (HP terminal...))
You can try: type your name @ your name again at the prompt login!
This is important when you got the bad login set for it is the ONLY way to cancel or erase (empty buffer...)
Until you are logged in, then in profile or .profile you have a stty getting set...
This goes also when you connect via network on remote systems... remember to backslash before the @

all the best

1 Like

I too saw warnings about using the special character "@" but I thought the warning only applied if "@" was used for kill. My stty -a output isn't, so I moved on in my troubleshooting process.

About your suggestion. Like this?

login: root@root
Password:
Login incorrect

That does not work for me. Or do I misunderstand your suggestion?

Telnet TERMINAL-SPEED option ON

HP-UX ran B.11.11 U 9000/800 (tb)

login: vbe@vbe
Password: 
Please wait...checking for disk quotas
(c)Copyright 1983-2000 Hewlett-Packard Co.,  All Rights Reserved.
(c)Copyright 1979, 1980, 1983, 1985-1993 The Regents of the Univ. of California
(c)Copyright 1980, 1984, 1986 Novell, Inc.
(c)Copyright 1986-1992 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
(c)Copyright 1985, 1986, 1988 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
(c)Copyright 1989-1993  The Open Software Foundation, Inc.
(c)Copyright 1986 Digital Equipment Corp.

In other words your stty was already set... try a fresh connection with telnet from another box...

The backslash did it. Thanks!

ex\@mple