Emacs Question; Control-G Not Working

Hi!

I am using Emacs 22.3.1 and the Control-G command will not work to cancel. I took my init.el file out of the mix and it stills does not work. I am not sure when I upgraded from 20.4 to 22.3.1, if it worked, but it certainly does not now.

Any thoughts...

Hi.

If I type at the command line prompt:

echo '^G'|od -bc

I get:

0000000 007 012
         \a  \n

what do you get?

Note that you may need to fiddle a bit to get ^G (07, the Bel character) into a command line. I used the vi-like notation ^V^C. , Cntl-VCntl-G

Thiis was on a system like:

OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-4-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.7 (jessie) 
bash GNU bash 4.3.3

cheers, drl

That is what I got.

I am not sure where you are going with this.

3 tests.
Does this occur at a character session at the console?
Does it occur at a graphical session on the console, and finally does it work at a terminal emulation session?
Assuming that this is all on SCO.

This only happens when I am in emacs. I have a copy of mince, which is emacs-like. I am able to use Control-G. I can press Control-G at the terminal and hear the bell.

I even rolled back bash on my SCO Openserver from 2.05a to 2.03. That did not make a difference.

Hi.

I wanted to start at the keyboard to see if ^G (7) was really being generated and transmitted by the terminal driver / stty not mapping ^G to something other than a value of 7.

If ^G is getting to programs like bash (you said you heard a bell), and mince (which I have never heard of), then it seems like a flaw in the version of emacs that you are using.

I searched briefly on the web and found nothing that seemed to be on target.

If no one seems able to help you here, you may need to ask at a site that is more emacs-centric.

Good luck ... cheers, drl

Thank you.

I will try changing the version of Emacs. If that does not fix it, I will move to a emacs forum.

---------- Post updated 03-28-17 at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous update was 03-27-17 at 11:42 AM ----------

I tried using Emacs 21.4, but I got the same results. I guess I will try going to the Emacs forum.

Thanks all for trying to help me.