echo $PWD doesn't work

I have entry in the my .profile like below, but still i see $PWD is not defied in my system

export PS1=$LOGNAME@\`hostname\`':'$PWD'>'

echo $PWD also gives me nothing, my env list also give no entry for PWD.Can someone help me setting PWD variable.
I use /bin/sh

You could run the "pwd" command.

export PS1=$LOGNAME@`hostname`':'`pwd`'>'

for '/bin/sh':

PS1="$LOGNAME@`hostname`:$PWD>"
export PS1

I tried this already and it sets me the "HOME DIR" in the prompt. when i change my directory my prompt still shows the "HOMEDIR" as like that and not my current working directory

---------- Post updated at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:25 AM ----------

I doubt my echo $PWD itself dosn't work for me,,,? is there could be any issue with the env variables....? can that be restricted for users..?

In the bsh you should use a function (redefine the cd builtin).
Check this thread.

I guess Yes. Contact your admin.

Check out this FAQ

if you are using bash on Linux this link comprehensively describes how to customise PS1 etc. using special characters in the prompt string. Not tested by me but it might clear up you issue.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/09/bash-shell-ps1-10-examples-to-make-your-linux-prompt-like-angelina-jolie/ (link removed)

Thanks all for your response,

I tried all possiblities adviced,but i still face the issue,, simple echo $PWD itself seems to be not working, I will check with the Admin whether my ID have privilage to use those variables..

In the time can somebody let me know if i can set my our variable as to perform the action of PWD? is ther any possibility for that?

If I recall correctly the Bourne shell does not implement the PWD builtin variable. As a workaround, as already mentioned, you can use a shell function.