Dual boot SOlaris 10 and Windows server 2003

Hi,

I am doing a build for dual boot server with Solaris 10 and Win2K3 server. I have the solaris 10 installed already and have to the windows 2003 installation now.

Just wanted to know its just running a new 2003 build or anything different.

I have build solaris on HDD1 and when I am trying to build the Win2K3 now, it says no disks can be found. I beleive both the disks are under UFS format. How can change HDD-2 to a FAT or NTFS so that I can build 2K3.

help me!!!

please don't "bump up" your posts... please read the rules of unix.com!

your problem:
always install windows first! solaris comes with a boot manager (grub) and let you choose your os after installation.
if the disks are not found while windows installation you need to add the drivers... what kind of hardware do you use?

Its a Sun X4200 (X86).....

I know how to go, if its Windows first, since its an already existing solaris machine I have no idea and I cant lose the data to format it.

pull the solaris disk. install windows on the second disk (you need the windows driver!). after install boot to solaris an manually edit the grub boot menu (i think it's /boot/grub/menu.lst) to reflect your windows installation.

before you start take a backup of your solaris installation with flash or ufsdump... safety first :wink:

good luck!

thanks. DO you have any idea what kind of drivers I have to go for?

sure... the drivers you can download from sun for your x4200 server. there are differences between x4200 and x4200m2, so watch out for the right drivers!

yeah its not a M2 just the X4200, got the iso image from sun.com

so have a happy windows (urgs ;)) installing...

I am done with both the installs and assigned diffrent static ip's to both the OS. But I am not able ping one when I am in another.

How can I keep both the ip's alive.

i don't understand? you can only boot ONE os at a time unless you are using some kind of virtualisation...

I get to the point where the users can choose which OS he wants to get into.

But I can't ping the ip at that point, because if I want to get to the host remotely using telnet I cant get to the host.

i can't help you unless you tell us what you've done and where the problem is... if you boot solaris, you come to the login screen... and then what?