DSL Router

How do I configure my Solaris system to connect to internet thro Linksys DSL Router?

Thanks in adavnce.

Assuming the model of DSL router has an inbuilt 4-port switch or an ethernet interface you should be able to attach to your local network that your solaris host is connected to....assigning a suitable IP address to the ethernet interface of the router if needed.
If you have a standalone Solaris host then just set-up a network interface for DHCP and connect to the router directly (cross over UTP cable probably req'd for a single ethernet model).
DNS (nameserver) config will be supplied by your ISP....assign the IP address of the routers ethernet interface as your default gateway....and away you go...

One additional point to add is assuming you are connecting the DSL router to the internet....remember to invest in some good firewall software and disable all unnecessary tcp/udp ports on the interface facing the router.

I have a stand alone Solaris machine and I did the following(found these steps in Google search!!). No use

a. touch /etc/dhcp.eth0

b. cp /dev/null /etc/hostname.eth0

c. Make sure that /etc/inet/hosts only has one line in it, the one containing
127.0.0.1 localhost

e. touch /etc/notrouter

f. cp /dev/null /etc/defaultrouter

g. cp /dev/null /etc/resolv.conf

h. Edit the file /etc/nsswitch.conf and look at the hosts: line. By default, it reads files ; change
it to read hosts: files dns.

Restarted the system, typed ifconfig -a, no change. Couldn't connect.

What is the response from 'ifconfig -a' ?

$ ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=10000849<up, loopback, running,multicast, IPv4> mtu 8232 index1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

Searched for the article you spoke of - found this

In it it states

If you never had anything configured, it may not show anything in ifconfig -a. Post back with the type of system you have or grep the dmesg command for hme, qfe, or qf. You have to know the interface - it probably isn't eth0.

I replaced eth0 with lo0.

How do I confihure the system? Running Solaris 8(Intel), stand alone.

You cannot use lo0. Run the dmesg command to find out what type of interface is in the system - grep for these different types:
qfe, hme, qf.

lo0 is the localhost which every system has but it's not an interface to the outside - only used internal to the system.

Leigh Stone and RTM,

Thanks for your Guidance.

I think I need to configure my system addresses and then try to configure DHCP etc.

I will work on that!!

Type dmesg | more and you will see the names of your ethernet interfaces.

lo0 is a loopback interface, BTW. That is why you can't use lo0....

Check out dmesg and you will see the names of your interfaces (and will know if the kernel recognizes them...)