DSL on SCO OpenServer 5.0.7

I have a dual boot computer with Windows 7 Pro 64 on one drive and SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on another drive. The DSL modem works perfectly on the Windows side; I can input the gateway and DNS address 192.168.1.1 in Windows network configuration.

On the UNIX side, I created the /etc/resolv.conf file and have been able to get nslookup to work. However the browser, an old version of Netscape, says when I type in www.google.com that the route cannot be found. named is working (or at least it doesn't give an error message); I also played around with the /etc/named.d files without success. There is no direct way to set the gateway address for the network card (I tried putting in 192.168.1.1 for the "broadcast address" but that didn't do anything).

Certainly someone here should know how to set up a DSL modem for SCO.

Run netconfig.
It will ask for the ip address, netmask, and default gateway.
Add the nameserver address to /etc/resolv.conf.
Don't bother with named, unless you want to have your own name server.

I've been running netconfig, but it does NOT ask for the gateway or DNS address (for the computer's network card)! I do have the nameserver address (192.168.1.1) in /etc/resolv.conf. nslookup runs fine. In Netscape, I get the message that the route cannot be found.

Create a script called /etc/rc2.d/S99route.
Contents
route add default 192.168.1.1

You are right about the gateway address. I had to start an old 507 system to check.
Edit the file /etc/default/tcp to add additional tcp settings.

The script worked!!! I'm on Netscape in www.unix.com typing this response. Of course this version of N
netscape is totally out of date. But at least I'm now on the Internet
from UNIX. What free up-to-date browser for SCO UNIX can I download? download

Here Xinuos Inc. | Support | Update | Download | Support
and here ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/

Thanks, jgt, but I don't see any Web browser updates there. I do have Maintenance Pack 5 installed.

Try the 6.0.0 section. Xinuos, Inc. | Support | Update | Download | Product
Never tried installing any of these on 507, but there is no harm in trying.

I just switched from Netscape to Mozilla, and this browser is quite up-to-date. Therefore, I will consider this thread solved. Thanks again.