DSL Modem 192.168.a.b botnet member me?

I need a hint or a clue. Some four weeks or even more I try to change the password for my wifi access of the
DSL Router without success. I access 192.168.x.x and filling in username as well as the password I am stuck.
Literally nothing happens and the support line tells me that this is not their department.

So looking around for the manufacturer and some kind of clue (after resetting it twice) I found this article

talking about some kind of botnet, publishing list of DSL-Modems, and just my provider and one of the models matches. I could not find a proper new software on the manufacturers site, therefore I went on e.g.

ip a | grep inet

So I should test it again in another equipment or complain against the provider for not testing it. And how can I test it for some virus with the terminal? Some other hints out there?????
Thanks in advance.
May this thread should be placed to hardware, but I consider it part of my security as well as of others.

If the modem/router is delivered/sold by the provider and they deny support, they might lose a customer next time :wink:
Anyway, I have no clue about this but you can get alternative FW for WLAN-routers. Not sure if this is the case for yours, but the projects have usually listed models of routers that are supported iirc. I tried once DD-WRT with my Asus WLAN-Router and it worked well.
Check Wikipedia for a list of available projects.
Though keep in mind, you can trash your router with it, if the update fails.

1 Like

So I will have a look at this link and maybe looking for a new router as well. It should be a task for the provider, but over here there is a huge lack of qualified staff. So thanks a lot, hope it will work out.

To the moderator this can be set to be SOLVED, but some more words for the link given

ZyXEL P8702N [OpenWrt Wiki][]=mitrastar

my OEM

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

How to hack your wireless router firmware: Page 2 | TechRadar

or many other sites.

As a matter of fact, it is fascinating this materia, indeed. But I could not even acces on the terminal my own 192.168.1.2 or something like that using the command

telnet

or

ssh

followed by the 192.168.1.2. No login using any password that should be used for that.
I had downloaded before OPNsense-17.1-OpenSSL-nano-amd64.img.bz2, nontheless this will never work until having more information on that hardware and given access to it. So may someone can give me a hint how to figure out and access the nand-chips or whatever on such a DSL-Modem?