Drivers

I seem to be having a driver issue installing a PCI SCSI card. Any ideas where I can track these down.. I can't seem to find them on the OS install disk. I'm using AIX 5.3.

cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for
device support but are not currently installed.
devices.pci.4f110600:devices.pci.4f110600:devices.pci.pciclass.078000
devices.pci.scsi:devices.pci.059020f6:devices.pci.0590c000:devices.pci.pciclass.010000

looks like a load more bogus file sets from cfgmgr!
what adapter is it?
is your media is of a late enough TL to actually support the adapter?
with TLs, rather than MLs IBM are introducing new device support.
if your media is not up to date, order a media refresh at the latest TL from your IBM sales person or business partner or go here:
https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/reg/signup.do?source=aixpssm&lang=en_US
and fill in all the boxes.
i have noticed of late that new stuff confuses config manager and it asks for some very odd filesets.

The adapter is an Adaptec SCSI card 39160
Dual Channel Ultra 160 SCSI

It will be used to connect an Ultrium 3 tape drive.

"The adapter is an Adaptec SCSI card 39160" - well ask adaptec for a driver then, unless it is a pSeries feature code don't expect IBM to provide a driver for it.
If it is an IBM pSeries / system P feature then tell us the feature code and we'll try and tell you the filesets you need to use it.

Is there a document which states clearly that this particular card is officially supported on a pSeries with AIX?

Not that I can find. IBM only support IBM adapters on pSeries / System P these days.
If the adapter is a genuine Adaptec adapter you will need to search for an Adaptec driver for AIX.
If you do find an Adaptec driver IBM will not support it on the adapter in a P system.
Given the lack of responce from the AIX fix site:
http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/fcgui.jsp
(I tried 4.3, 5.1 and 5.2)
and google I think you wll not find what you are after from IBM.
Hint: if you want to search a particular site in google use a search argument like:
site:ibm.com key words
and you will only get results from domains that end in "ibm.com"

In that case I would rather try an adapter with a supported chipset, e.g. LSI 53C896 (U2W) or some QLogic 1080/1280.
I'm currently not sure which one is supported, but the 44P-170 workstation has onboard LVD, so this chipset might work.
The only RISC machine where I know that Adaptec works, is my UP2000+ Alpha machine.

you might try ebay, or similar, for a IBM card. IBM do use cards manufactured by third parties but they write their own firmware and vpd, so IBM drivers only tend to work with IBM supplied cards.
worth trying other cards if you have them though.