Driver problem with Ubuntu 10.10

I have a Dell laptop with Ubuntu 10.10 installed in it. The headphone driver is not supportive in my system but it works really well with other laptops like HP.
So my question is that does Ubuntu 10.10 in Dell does not work? Moreover, if i upgrade my system later with 11.04, will the problem still be there or 11.04 might support the headphone driver?

There's no "dell driver" for all dell past, present, and future, we need to know what your laptop is. Laptops have especially strange arrangements of hardware because of how cramped they are; often needing model-specific fixes and their own special drivers, not the generic ones. This is often true even in Windows.

Ubuntu has a lot of tuning to accommodate known hardware, but it doesn't know everything; Dell doesn't ship with Linux fixes the way it ships with Windows ones, they have to do it the hard way, themselves. You've lucked out with HP before but that was just luck: my HP's sound didn't work out of the box... In short: You can't expect Ubuntu to be spot-on perfect on hardware they haven't had a chance to test on.

If you can access IRC you could login to freenode and ask on the #alsa channel, I've found them especially helpful for linux sound problems. They knew settings right-off that'd take me weeks to stumble on with google.

So... can I solve this problem by using the terminal? Do we have any command to solve this problem?

I repeat: I need to know what your laptop is.

These problems are model-specific, the fixes also model-specific. There is not a /usr/bin/make_sound_work_better.sh that will magically know what's wrong and fix it.

The fix that worked for my HP laptop(which involved forcing the ALSA drivers to believe it was a toshiba!) will not work for your Dell.

1 Like

To know what's your soundcard : lshw , find the data concerning the sound and then you can try a search with the reference and "ubuntu" as keywords.

...or you could tell us what your laptop is.

Could anyone help me with how to convert rtf file to ttf file in ubuntu terminal?

1) Converting a text document into a font doesn't begin to make sense.
2) You posted in your old thread when you should have made a new one.

Sounds like your jumping topics...

But since you still don't want to tell what your hardware is (Which would greatly help us help you) an upgrade like you spoke can occasionally fix the situation. Sometimes a new kernel or distribution includes more definitions to automatically detect hardware.