Dpkg Syntax Issue . . .

Greetings!

I'm trying to get dpkg to just completely extract a multi-part *.deb archive set into a single folder called "output". Simple?

Hmmmm....

dpkg --noforce --unpack *.deb /output/

Console after ops:

However, "--noforce" is taken directly from the helpfile Options listing as furnished in --help for the applet...

:confused:

Which brings up a more general question: What, in any event, might be the best commandline to manage this operation? Am I even in the right ballpark here?

Thanks a bunch!

From my dpkg --help :

Hello RudiC!

I did. That's why I came over here for a bit of help :wink:

Any ideas as to why this seems to not tick over as it looks like it should?

Thanks --

Look at the syntax...

Edit:

Didn't understand the reference :wink:

I just pointed out that the error msg that you encountered may be due to using --noforce while dpkg --help says it wants --no-force .

1 Like

Thank you for pointing out my error!

Sometimes one just can't see the forest for the trees :wink:

I'll try things in a bit and get back to the thread with how it works out...

---------- Post updated at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:34 PM ----------

Back again.

Here's the result:

Is "--no-force" even necessary to get things done here???

Even --no-force is not a valid option. It's got to be --no-force-<thing> , check dpkg --force-help for details.

Referring to Debian Administrator's Handbook, Example 5.3, --unpack alone should be sufficient.
5.4.�Manipulating Packages with dpkg

More:

OK. Between BusyBox's incomplete support of dpkg and Ubuntu's version of "the same thing", I finally got the following to "work":

dpkg --unpack *.deb /output/

However, dpkg INSTALLED the whole thing on Ubuntu; despite the fact that just "--unpack" was called; and, ostensibly, directed to the preexisting folder /output/.

:confused:

Closer; but still not there . . .

What might I be missing now --

---------- Post updated at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:38 PM ----------

'Nother error on my part:

It seems as though there is no built-in way of redirecting dpkg to a set folder for an unpack operation. dpkg-deb has that feature available; but will not accept wildcards (?)

For example, this doesn't quite work as one might expect:

dpkg-deb -x *.deb /output/

This returns:

(ugh)