Doubt on Linux console

Can anyone explain me the usage of momentary press, press and hold, Reset.. I usually use cold boot option which is used to boot the system.

Any help on the other options is really helpful

thanks in advance

I'm not sure what you're asking. It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with a linux console. Are you talking about the bootloader?

It sounds like, rather than the boot loader, that he's asking about the physical machine, which is not the console

The function of the items you are referring to are dependent on the BIOS and settings in ACPI whether a press, press and hold, etc will reboot, shut down, or suspend a machine.

• Momentary Press button provides behavior identical to pressing the physical power button.
    • Press and Hold is identical to pressing the physical power button for five seconds and then releasing it. This option provides the ACPI-compatible functionality that is implemented by some operating systems. These operating systems behave differently depending upon a short press or long press. The behavior of this option might circumvent any graceful shutdown features of the operating system.
    • Cold Boot of the system immediately removes power from the system. The system will restart after approximately six seconds. This option is not available when the server is powered down. This option circumvents graceful operating system shutdown features.
    • Reset System initiates a system reset. This option is not available when the server is powered down. The behavior of this option might circumvent any graceful shutdown features of the operating system.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Can you pls clarify 3rd and 4th option . Which one is ungraceful shutdown and graceful?

Rogerben

I am going to guess you are using a Dell Drac interface to shutdown the server. Both Cold Boot and Reset System does not perform a graceful shutdown of the system.

If the system is responsive i suggest that you use the momentary press which will initiate the shutdown process in a most systems.

If the system is hung or in a panic you can 'Press and hold' and then 'momentary press' to bring up your system