DOSKEY

I am a new UNIX user.

I use SCO Openserver 5.

I am also a longtime MS-DOS user (since 1981). There was a program with DOS called DOSKEY. It allowed you to assign a code to an F key; every time you pressed that F key you got the code on the command line. You could put in whatever command you wanted. I am looking for a way to do the same thing in UNIX.

Bearing in mind I know close to nothing about UNIX, is there a way I can do this? I need to put in commands, times, and the date. I would be unable at this time to write a shell script. I have little time to spare, working nights and going to school in the day.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Jim Welch

<B>XMODMAP(1)</B>

<P>
NAME<P>
xmodmap - utility for modifying keymaps and pointer button mappings in X
<P>
SYNOPSIS<P>
xmodmap [-options ...] [filename]
<P>
DESCRIPTION<P>
The xmodmap program is used to edit and display the key-board modifier map and keymap table that are used by client applications to convert event keycodes into keysyms. It is usually run from the user's session startup script to configure the keyboard according to personal tastes.
<P>
For more info do a man on xmodmap. I routinely use it on all my remote login sessions to disable the "Caps Lock" key, which is real annoying using VI on a small notebook keyboard :slight_smile:

If you use TCSH what the command you're looking for is "bindkey".

for example : bindkey s delete-char-backward
will make it a bit difficult for someone you don't like to type ls :slight_smile:

Hezki