Don't have wireless connection any more ..

Hello,
Please help me because I'm stuck.
I am using Fedora 16 on my notebook Fujitsu A6025. It was working fine for days and then suddenly I lost wireless connection , I can't enable 'ON' option in Network configuration (it looks like disabled) and I don't see any wireless network around me ( while it was a few before).
Here is the output of iwconfig:
lo no wireless connections.
wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=off
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

p2p1 no wireless connections.
Please help since I'm blocked.
Appreciate any input.

---------- Post updated at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:39 PM ----------

Well ... I tried to use installation 'Live' disk after that everything came back i.e. I do have wireless now.
No idea what happened and why I lost before and how just running 'live' disk ( without re-installing) fixed the problem ... but I'm happy that I'm back on-line.
Regards.

---------- Post updated 02-06-12 at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous update was 02-05-12 at 02:37 PM ----------

Folks,
Still need your help. My problem is consistent i.e. wireless connection drop in a few hours of inactivity or every morning.
Actually every morning I see that connection was dropped while it was OK at evening. If I run 'live' install Fedora disk I usually am able to restore connection. But it's really not acceptable that I have to run install disk again and again in order to restore wireless network.
I'd appreciate if someone could help since it's really frustrating.
Thanks in advance

1) Is this your wireless network?
2) If not, is it possible that something is happening outside of your control?
3) Is this just you and/or other people?
4) What happens with a different laptop computer?

There are so many avenues to pursue, that some basics need to be ruled out first.

First ... thanks for reply and trying to help ..
here are my answers:

1. this is my wireless network
  2. -
  3. I am the only user of my laptop
  4. I have another laptop which runs Rhat 6.2 and connected to the same wireless router and never experienced problem with network on that notebook.
    Thanks.

To clarify, you have another laptop that used to work on the network fine.
At the current times of trouble (in the morning), will that other laptop connect to the wireless? Just trying to make sure there is a signal, and it is allowing connections.

that's right ...
the other laptop connected to the same router has no problem for years and currently is connected as well. On my old laptop I just installed Fedora 16 and started experience unstable network connection.

I think this answers your own question -

Perhaps something with the hardware of your laptops and the internal network cards and Fedora are not happy playing together?!

• joeyg,
    I think the same way ... but the point is how to fix it :slight_smile:
    Regards,
    susja

This sounds like a hardware thing, and we know nothing about your system beyond the OS used, so we can't even begin to guess. check dmesg and stuff.

sure Corona688,
I'll check later dmesg but do you think that if I switch to another OS like CentOS I might get rid of this issue?

You're going to have better luck actually troubleshooting the issue than reformatting your computer, yes. Especially since reformatting caused this in the first place... :wall: There's not a special "better for wireless" kind of linux. Ignoring the problem and ignoring all advice almost never helps.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for trying to help me.
I realized that the problem was not isolated to my computer but it was introduced by last kernel update.
After I upgraded kernel the problem disappeared.
Thanks again.