Does unix use interrupts?

I'm a freshman here and I have a simple question.
Does unix use interrupts which is like Dos? Are they the same?
Thx.:cool:

Are you talking about Interrupts like Int 21h in Assembly programming? That's hardware dependent.

A google search for NASM would probably yield good results for Assembly language development under x86 and possbily other architectures.

I believe he is asking for IRQs, however, I don't know the answer. I am guessing that it is no they don't.

IRQs are for assigning H/W on Windows. So far as I know UNIX doesn't restrict to that degreee. You can configure many H/W devices on UNIX whereas WINOS only have upto 15 or so.

I am pretty sure that IRQs are used on x86 versions of Unix. I bet that they aren't on the OSX version because the Apple hardware never had support for IRQs. I have no idea of any other systems. I'm a pretty cheap x86 guy myself. :slight_smile:

Thx, I mean int here. I used NASM in Dos and Windows but I don't know if unix follows the same rule. When I use int 21h, I call dos service. but what should I do if I want to call unix service?!(Does it exist :stuck_out_tongue: )

Google is our friend.

It looks like under Linux with NASM 80h is used instead of 21h. The link above seems to be a good start of Assembly programming under Linux on the x86.

Yeah, I get that, Thx U
I will keeping googling.......